Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Area restrictions and penalty
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Area restrictions and penalty
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNandGS
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Area restrictions and penalty Reply with quote

In some similar games there were areas you could not go into or could not stay in for long periods of time. I want to do something similar...

An example, but NOT what I want:
Troops could not enter a specific area, say a Galaxite area, or their health would decrease - it could be a continual thing or a one time descrease. If a contual decrease (what I really want) then a "safe" area needs to be determined to stop the reduction.

Make sense? Im pretty sure I can do the one time thing but how to do it on only the unit in the specified area?

S
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that's possible... there's no trigger to modify health. Wish there was though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this: Put towers in the areas you wish to be "restricted" that are a side that isn't a participant, such as side neutral. (You will also need power and a SC). Set the allies like so:

Side1, Side2, Side3, Side4 allies with SideNeu
SideNeu allies with SideNeu

Then, whenever units enter the area, they will be fired on, but can't fire back!

I've used this to great effect in several levels.

You can also create triggers that cause a unit to leave an area as soon as they enter it that make it virtually rtestricted. If you need examples, let me know.

GNandGS
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Ive got something working but I did it wrong so you might say, "it almost works".

Ive got areas that trigger a condition - limiting the building of structures/people. What I havent figured out is how to turn it off! I *think* triggers were the wrong thing to use... are they just processed in order? A "one time use" type of thing? If so, then I'll have to hit three more triggers before they turn off - to never come on again.

Im looking to set a condition that is always looked for... "if this, then that" dumbed down so I understand it.
SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNandGS wrote:
Ive got areas that trigger a condition - limiting the building of structures/people. What I havent figured out is how to turn it off! I *think* triggers were the wrong thing to use... are they just processed in order? A "one time use" type of thing? If so, then I'll have to hit three more triggers before they turn off - to never come on again.

I am not sure that I follow you all the way here, but we'll give it a try. Smile I do think using triggers is the only way to achieve what you are trying to do. A trigger may be a "one time use" thing, but if you set the Preserve Trigger trigger action, it will work every time the conditions are met.

To "turn it off" you need a new trigger (looking exactly like the first trigger only reversing the area contains condition and the set allowed trigger action) that sets allowed units to what you want it to be when the area does not contain the units in the condition.

GNandGS wrote:
Im looking to set a condition that is always looked for... "if this, then that" dumbed down so I understand it.

I think Preserve trigger is what you need. You may also combine this with switches if there are conditions when you do not want the trigger to work.

GNandGS
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was it! The destructions for that were not part of the trigger docs I was reading...

Its working! Of course I get past that and now it locks up and I have to reset after a few minutes. doh!

S
GNandGS
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok all is great, just how I want it... however, I am unable to end the mission. I tried setting it up to look for 0 bad guys but its not working. Any thots?

S
SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNandGS wrote:
Ok all is great, just how I want it... however, I am unable to end the mission. I tried setting it up to look for 0 bad guys but its not working. Any thots?

A trigger that checks for "Enemies" owns Exactly 0 units or side*number of your enemy side* owns Exactly 0 units and has an action that ends the mission when this condidtion is true should work. I don't know if this is what you have tried. If you give us the trigger that is not working in a bit more detail, we might be better able to see what is wrong.

GNandGS
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about thatt...

This does not work:
Side4 owns exactly 0 of "everything" = end mission; win
Set formal objective status 1 to success

Err? Wha? Only thing I can figure is having things selected that were never built... or surely since I placed the galazite from Side4's pallet I dont have to mine it all?

Maybe a competing trigger? If you are not afraid of a "spoiler" I could just send you the file.

S
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GNandGS wrote:
Sorry about thatt...

This does not work:
Side4 owns exactly 0 of "everything" = end mission; win
Set formal objective status 1 to success

Err? Wha? Only thing I can figure is having things selected that were never built... or surely since I placed the galazite from Side4's pallet I dont have to mine it all?

Maybe a competing trigger? If you are not afraid of a "spoiler" I could just send you the file.

S

Could you post the EXACT trigger? It really helps to see it in full.

GNandGS
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have stumbled accross something in transcribing this text.

Currently it reads...

For Side4

Conditions:
Side4 owns Exactly 0 Security Guard, Rocket Trooper, Corporate Raider, Eagle, Broadsword, Hydra, Liberator, Bullpup, Dominion, Power Generator, Galaxite Processor, Galaxite Warehouse, Human Resource Center, Vehicle Transport Station, Surveillance Center, Research Center, Headquarters, Gatling Tower, Rocket Tower, Andy, Cyclops, Replicator, Fox

Actions:
End Mission:Win
Set formal objective 1 status to "Success"

I have no switches or counters in this mission. I think the first part might be wrong... it should say "For Side ONE", the player? Im gonna go test that.

S
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is your opponent? Side 4? If so, then that is who you put. Also, you don't need to check the box for an item if you don't actually ever build it (like replicators). Usually, simply clicking the All Units works.

Secondly, I'm not sure if the "Set formal objective 1 status to "Success" " shouldn't be before the End Mission action. I think End Mission Ends it immediately.

GNandGS
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Started writing this before I saw your post - yes, side 4 is computer/opponent.**

Dang. I suck at mission authoring. It would appear that what I need to do is set the trigger FOR human player, conditions FOR computer player.

I just tested and got it working with just one enemy unit by:

For Side 1 (note the change here!)
Condition is for Side 4
Side 4 owns AT MOST (another change) 0 units.

I had used units never built because at the time I wasnt sure how I would finish things up.

I'll follow your other suggestions and get this fixed ASAP. Thanks!
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using "at the most" shouldn't make a diff - I use "exactly 0" all the time.

Try to look at the sample missions for ideas

GNandGS
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys! Just spent 48 minutes on it (could be done much faster) trying to dupe what others might.

ALL WENT WELL! It isnt good enuf to warrant all this time but too late for that!

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: