Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - More features...?
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

More features...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think more features would be nice?
Yes! Definitely!
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
Maybe...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, not at this time.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: More features...? Reply with quote

Spiffcode, your game is awesome. Absolutely spectacular. I believe it is the best game for any handheld devices anywhere. But there's one thing I've noticed...

Has anyone else noticed that all the warfare maps are basically the same?
They're either Defend, Attack, Sneak in, or Mine maps. These types of gameplay WILL get old after a while, even if they are awesome right now. If we had more flexibility, like more locations and more actions, we could create all new ideas like bullpup tag and madnesses(where teams continually spawn people to send them off to fight other peoples' spawned units, and if someone has the most amt. of kills at the end, they win) If we had these, we could create anything! So here's a poll: if you think more features and flexibility would be nice, vote yes. Else, vote no.
And if you have any other neat features you're wishing for, say them!

Features I'm wishing for:
More Actions
- Center Locations
- Pop-up menus like what they did in KQ2
More Locations available... the number now is like 32 or something.
Better pathfinder... ability to block off places.
More access to the internal variables like kills, deaths, totalmined, totalspent
ABILITY TO MODIFY UNIT STATS like HP, defense, weaknesses.

Any thoughts? Any votes?

Spiffcode, this is our wish list. Please take all these ideas into consideration! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
goblin_merchant
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Verdagon completely. Yes, the limit is at 32 areas.

The game rules, and the editor rules too.

Also, someone, I don't remember who, asked for the following.
Currently, when you spawn buildings, they can only go in the top left corner. If there is another there, the building isn't spawned. That makes me use up precious locations. It's already very limited at 32.

Editor Practicalalities (sp? is it even a word?)

We need the export inport trigger function! It's there but doesn't work. We need to be able to copy unit groups. That would help a lot.

Is is possible to make maps bigger than 62*62? Can the engine handle it?

Ecom should somehow be implemented in multiplay...

Oh, yeh. There should be some kind of AI editor. Currently the AI just sits there. Overmind just builds random stuff out of the buildings it already has. AI scripting would be cool!

Verdagon addressed the other issues I wanted to mention.

Spiffcode, PLEASE!!!! Laughing

PS. Can't imagine why someone would vote no Confused ... Who wouldn't want more features Very Happy

Team members: Knelson and I.
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: More features...? Reply with quote

Verdagon wrote:
Spiffcode, your game is awesome. Absolutely spectacular. I believe it is the best game for any handheld devices anywhere. But there's one thing I've noticed...

They're either Defend, Attack, Sneak in, or Mine maps. These types of gameplay WILL get old after a while, even if they are awesome right now. If we had more flexibility, like more locations and more actions, we could create all new ideas like bullpup tag and madnesses(where teams continually spawn people to send them off to fight other peoples' spawned units, and if someone has the most amt. of kills at the end, they win) If we had these, we could create anything! So here's a poll: if you think more features and flexibility would be nice, vote yes. Else, vote no.

More Actions
- Center Locations
More access to the internal variables like kills, deaths, totalmined, totalspent

Any thoughts? Any votes?

Spiffcode, this is our wish list. Please take all these ideas into consideration! Very Happy

As far as Bullup tag (?) and other "theme" missions go, I personally would rather see more well-laid out missions with intriguing plots. Pique my interest with a good plot and a challenging (but acheivable) goal, and I could care less what kind of mission it is in the first place, to say nothing of how many times I've played that particular "kind" of mission.

Smile
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: More features...? Reply with quote

Verdagon wrote:

More Actions
- Center Locations

Any thoughts? Any votes?

Personally, I think the game is awesome just the way it is. If you find yourself wishing for specific features just because they were found in another game you happened to admire, then play that other game. WI was designed to be a real time strategy game, not a game development platform! If you want to create levels that duplicate the experience of, say, a role playing game and can find a way to do that within the current code's parameters, then by all means do so. Requesting that the developers go back and change the fundamental concepts of the game to make it easier for you to do so is essentially asking them to compromise their creativity to facilitate yours.

As far as Bullup tag (?) and other "theme" missions go, I personally would rather see more well-laid out missions with intriguing plots. Pique my interest with a good plot and a challenging (but acheivable) goal, and I could care less what kind of mission it is in the first place, to say nothing of how many times I've played that particular "kind" of mission.

Of course, there's always room for more changes. Thirty-two areas in the mission editor is a good request, as well as many others that have found their way to the forum, but when requesting enhancements or changes, let's give the game's creators a break and keep to the spirit of the original plot and setting that Spiffcode intended.
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: More features...? Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally, I think the game is awesome just the way it is. If you find yourself wishing for specific features just because they were found in another game you happened to admire, then play that other game. WI was designed to be a real time strategy game, not a game development platform! If you want to create levels that duplicate the experience of, say, a role playing game and can find a way to do that within the current code's parameters, then by all means do so. Requesting that the developers go back and change the fundamental concepts of the game to make it easier for you to do so is essentially asking them to compromise their creativity to facilitate yours.

Yes, the game is great how it is. But what I'm asking is for more flexibility, not for them to go back and change the basics. A few more actions and conditions is all we need to create more masterpieces. To some people, the same type of game is fine, they enjoy that. Other people, though, love more variety. We're asking for more flexibility so we can make some nice *different* maps. Just more flexibility. Not a change of the fundamental basics. Sorry I didn't clarify that in the beginning.

Quote:

Currently we have one type of mission... With two, you'd be twice as happy Very Happy

Quote:
Of course, there's always room for more changes. Thirty-two areas in the mission editor is a good request, as well as many others that have found their way to the forum, but when requesting enhancements or changes, let's give the game's creators a break and keep to the spirit of the original plot and setting that Spiffcode intended.

(That's one long sentence!) The game's creators are awesome, they're working their tails off. I'm not demanding these things be implemented, they're suggestions. Cool

I should have clarified these points. Sorry!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: More features...? Reply with quote

PhillipEarl wrote:

Smile

Well, I know a lot of people who would like bullpup tag Smile

goblin_merchant
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, I agree that great plot is a big thing. However, if I were to take a good book, for example, Tom Sawyer, change a few names around, and release another book, no one would like it.

We NEED the flexibility. Great games like Starcraft are still around these days, even though they have terrible graphics (you know how important they are these days) and more advanced games of the same genre, like Warcraft III, have been released, they still live on today because of FLEXIBILITY!

I'm sure adding a few more features would make the game last MUCH longer. If you look at it in a commercial way, that could keep sales high for a very long time.

crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the flexibility is already there.

The limitations such as areas and map size are because spiffcode must have a product that can run on many platforms, not just the latest with the greatest. To do otherwise invites a support nightmare. Adding new trigger actions and such also limits those with older versions. Some ideas, such as pinpoint control of units, probably isn't possible. Others, such as creating new units, would require the graphics file (da beeg one) to be modified - and the user would have to change it for every new mission. Not gonna happen. The thing to remember is: this is a PDA game! That is the defining limit.

Some of the ideas put out here are already achievable with what we have. It is just a case of knowing how to use the tools and thinking about things a little differently.

As my good collegue PhillipEarl has said, if you like the way someone else does it, play their game. Very Happy It is a poor craftsman that blames the tools Wink

Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crakerz wrote:
I think the flexibility is already there.

The limitations such as areas and map size are because spiffcode must have a product that can run on many platforms, not just the latest with the greatest. To do otherwise invites a support nightmare. Adding new trigger actions and such also limits those with older versions. Some ideas, such as pinpoint control of units, probably isn't possible. Others, such as creating new units, would require the graphics file (da beeg one) to be modified - and the user would have to change it for every new mission. Not gonna happen. The thing to remember is: this is a PDA game! That is the defining limit.

Some of the ideas put out here are already achievable with what we have. It is just a case of knowing how to use the tools and thinking about things a little differently.

As my good collegue PhillipEarl has said, if you like the way someone else does it, play their game. Very Happy It is a poor craftsman that blames the tools Wink

You make good points, but Goblin_Merchant said,
Quote:
We NEED the flexibility. Great games like Starcraft are still around these days, even though they have terrible graphics (you know how important they are these days) and more advanced games of the same genre, like Warcraft III, have been released, they still live on today because of FLEXIBILITY!

Surely spiffcode could add a few more actions and conditions to make their game last much much longer. If not for the fun of it, then the income.

Quote:
As my good collegue PhillipEarl has said, if you like the way someone else does it, play their game

The funny thing about this is that there is no other game.

Quote:
The limitations such as areas and map size are because spiffcode must have a product that can run on many platforms, not just the latest with the greatest.

A few more conditions, actions, locations will not slow a zire down that much. Besides, the PDAs are getting more advanced, why not shoot for the stars and make the game better? Maybe an advanced version for the Latest and Greatest. Like what CF did with KQ and KQ2.

Quote:
Others, such as creating new units, would require the graphics file (da beeg one) to be modified - and the user would have to change it for every new mission.

Yes, the file would be modified, the new units could be added. But the old ones don't need to be taken away! It would just be like an expansion set or something. That way we can still play the old ones and the new ones.

You make a lot of good points, but sooner or later this game's gonna die. (Not anytime soon though, it IS the latest and the greatest right now)

Can we have less arguing, more ideas?

- Evan

crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is arguing, just trying to get people to understand the facts. When it all comes down to it, it's business.

1. Shrinking the pool of users doesn't generate more income, but less. Making a game that is platform specific severly limits the pool of users, and creates a support nightmare, costs more money, and genreates less income. Crying or Very sad

2. Making files bigger isn't a plus, it's a negative. We are not talking about PCs with huge RAM and the ability to use a swapfile, but PDAs, with a very limited amount of RAM. The graphics file is already huge PDA-wise. Adding to it would knock a lot of people out, unless you are suggesting they delete their other applications and just use their PDA as a Gameboy Shocked

spiffcode only has three fulltime employees, remember. Lots of ideas are floating out there, and many of them are quite good. And many will never be implemented. And some might. I'm not trying to stop the flow, just trying to inject a little reality based on many years of experience in the business world of computers.

Lastly, I stand by my statement about flexability. Much is already there. More is only needed in how people think. I myself do hope that spiffcode will add new functionality, but I don't think that is going to happen before the next release (which is very soon, I hear).

Don't confuse conflicting ideas with arguing. Iron sharpens iron.

goblin_merchant
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sadly, some can't Sad

Right, we are dreaming big, but wasn't that what got Warfare started? They had no idea how things would work out., look at what the dream got them.

Already looking forward to Warfare Incorporated 2...

Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, goblin... good point.

I wonder if they ever WILL make an expansion, or a 2nd warfare...?

PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: More features...? Reply with quote

Verdagon wrote:
PhillipEarl wrote:

Smile

Well, I know a lot of people who would like bullpup tag Smile

A little off subject, perhaps, but I'm dying to know! What, exactly, is Bullup tag? Very Happy
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the one I was thinking of had 4 players. One started out with a rocket trooper ("it") or something, and he would chase down the bullpups of the other three enemies. When he kills a bullpup, the victim gets a rocket trooper(which means he's the new "it") and the previous "it" gets a bullpup.

Very fun game. Wish it could be implemented. unfortunately, the current list of actions doesnt support it. Can't wait til it does, though!

goblin_merchant
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very good games cannot be made currently! A few extra triggers could change that. Please make some more actions and conditions, spiffcode!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: