Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Problems with artificial score pumping
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Problems with artificial score pumping
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Multiplayer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Problems with artificial score pumping Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm seeking your input on a difficult problem we are having. Currently, WI lets you log in to MP with different player names. This is a fun feature because you can do all sorts of things with it, from just having a different account to try different things, to pretending to be several different players (even within the same clan).

In any case, we have a problem. It appears that members that want to boost their scores, will do the following: assume you have two players that want to boost their scores. Both players have two player names - one that they are trying to boost up the leaderboard, and another that they don't care about. Now, you can imagine what happens: the first player uses their important name, the second player the unimportant name, then the second player loses games to boost the score of the first player's important name. After awhile they switch so the second player's important name gets boosted. Do this enough, and your important name goes up the leaderboard.

Just so everyone knows: the server knows all the names that people use. I can use this information to do this kind of analysis to see who the real players are playing in games. Everyone should know that artificial score boosting isn't fair for anyone and is therefore a form of cheating.

The problem is, it is difficult for the server to detect when a game is being thrown, and it is difficult to manually police this kind of activity.

The one way I can think of that would definitely stop this kind of behavior, is to change MP so that only one player name per player can be used. If you want to switch player names, you can but your previous account will be reset.

Any other suggestions?

wonderer
Let The Truth Be Told

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So players like me with 3accounts

"if you want to switch player names, you can but your previous account will be reset" please don't do that!!!

Make it's so only the main ID well be able to get points and give away points?
Or the other ID's well be nutural vs the main ID?
Or the other ID has to play twice the games to get points or they only get half the points?

Find the people that are doing that and cut their ID off.
Or find them and Ban their ID for a fewdays.
Lol that's why I asked for the enforcers or have a chatt room mod? Which can look at games and reporte back to hq with the have proof? And of course.....

Lollollol a clan with all one player lol I never did that with the outlanders lol.

being leader of viet pride.
Being the second highest poster on this forum.
Write many strategy.
Helping people and making people laugh.
N@TE
Chief Administrator Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Recording Reply with quote

Maybe the last 5-10 min of every game of every game could be recorded by the server and sent back to the forums. This way people wouldn't have their beggining strategy stolen but you could still see who destroyed what base, and who resigned.
BrianBSHS
Administrator Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have two accounts, one is my main account that has faithfully serviced me through Beta, and the other is a growing clan tag account. I'd hate for one to be in jeopardy because I have it's sibling. I think 2 accounts is the max, and if they log in with another (third) account, it would be pinged as a anonymous player and give no points to the winner. Two accounts should definitely be a max though.

Towards Scott:
If you can have the server email you when an IP logs a third account, you can have kathy, Al, or myself PM/email each account warning them that a third account has been logged in on their device and without a response that account will be automatically reset. If they respond, it would be a short explanation as to why the third account was logged and which account the person would like to be reset.

Very Active User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestions is one player should only have 2name account limit. One is their main and the other one is for them to practice. But if they want to make another acc that have a different name then they have a choice of which account they want to replace and the name that they replaced would be gone and the stats would be reseted and da name would be change according to the new name the player input.

Having just one account is bad because like my problem everytime, i dont know if my connection is 100% fast and i dont know if im not going to get disconnected. I had this problem before when i was using my main account and at the middle of the game when i was about to win. i got disconnected and you told me that you cant do anything about the connection because other players might take advantage of it. So i just decided to make another acc to use it to train and play other players. Then my main, i only use it to play important games and games that i know ill be sure im going to win. It actually works, i dont go down the leaderboard like i used to when i lose becuase i got disconnected.

WarKilla93/WarKilla/-No Mercy-/WarKilla Van Java

-----------------------------
galm
ForeRunner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5 accounts, galm, omicron, shadow 1, d.e.m. And demon lord. Galm is what I go by and I chat with it alot and stuff, omicron was what I used to use for playing but haven't recently idly, d.e.m. Is wht I use to try new strategies and maps, and demon lord is my main account recently and shadow 1 well lol. I don't need shadow 1 but I know people would say use anon to test maps but I like people knowing who i am. I actually use all of them except shadow 1 often. But even with these accounts I have never nor will never tank a game for some one or myself. That's the problem Scott, I won't but someone else might. Maybe if we could observe any match going on like just click on watch and then see it people would be afraid to cheat, oh and observers couldn't speak.
wonderer
Let The Truth Be Told

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollollol galm your some how found a way spam ID's lol that's FUNNY lol.

Yea if we could be able to see the other players fighting then. If scottlu could have the map fliped and take off the names and maybe the colors. So we can't really tell who's who.?

being leader of viet pride.
Being the second highest poster on this forum.
Write many strategy.
Helping people and making people laugh.
LawrenceA
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, iv got alot of accounts, but firstly I don't think alot of people would have more than 1 iPhone at their disposal so they could play themselves. I think that the server should notice when a player plays against his other Id and not adjust the rating for that game. Another option could be to detect when a player is playing himself and then delete his other accounts for misusing them. But I remember seeing somewhere that me and iawinner have the same ip adress, so if we played each other the server might pick it up as me playing myself.
johnjones
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for one ID but fully expect to be out voted.

On the subject of "score pumping": I've nothing against cap0ne but think it's a shame that he's made it to number one by racking up a number of wins against players who have posted that they're leaving (ring0r, zer0). It is score pumping and belittles the efforts of the other top 10 players. He's made it to a score that will take a long time for other players to catch so will likely be there a heck of a long time.
valicious
Die-hard Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense and disrespect to BiT clan because I'm cool with them, but just like what wonderbra pointed out, their games are obviously fixed. I mean, what's up with that? I respect the BiT clan but when there's is obviously a unfair boosting of ratings then something's gotta be done. It has to be dealt with and I hope it never happens again. Pr0 clan on the other hand should never even be considered a clan since there is now only one active member who is currently number 1, thanks to another obvious and unfair boosting by ring0r and zer0. If this isn't dealt with, who's to say when it'll stop? Heck this seems to be the trend now so my clan might as well do it...but then again we're not cheap. There's a difference between classy and...well, you get the point.
Jack17
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottlu, ur idea i think is the best Cool
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheating is still happening. I have given warnings. I could go reset accounts, but it's tough to figure out all that were involved. Then I would get comments about past cheating, and I would need to go figure them out. And still this doesn't prevent even more cheating in the future. We need an automated way to address this.

Here is a proposal, that will allow people to continue using multiple player names, yet address this artificial score pumping:

An individual player can only get points from another individual player, a fixed number of times per day. Let's assume this is once a day for the sake of argument. It would go like this: player A wins against player B. Player A's score goes up, player B's score goes down, like normal. Now player A wins against player B a second time. No score adjustment occurs, because player A has already scored against player B once that day. The next day, player A can score against player B once. etc. We can change this number to whatever people think is fair.

You might ask, what if player B changes player name. Then player A could score again. The way I can control this is by device. Replace all mentions of "Player" with "Device" above. You can only score N times against a given device, per day. This way, if someone changes the name they are playing with, it doesn't matter. It's the number of games against a given device that I would be tracking.

Thoughts?

galm
ForeRunner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we maybe should maybe two or three because we might want a rematch to count. I would hate if I played a bunch of games to only get one per day, two is better.
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everyone likes this approach, we could do any number per day, you guys decide by voting.
Jack17
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottlu, i think the idea is not so good Very Happy Very Happy. I dont know a better idea, but um thinking. I think the BiT clan has enough acc to play/cheat. Their have be a better idea and waz now with their points that they get with cheating? Do u reset their acc? I write when i have an idea. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Multiplayer Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: