Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Regarding Warfare Inc for the iPhone - a few questions
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Regarding Warfare Inc for the iPhone - a few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IzzyNobre
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Regarding Warfare Inc for the iPhone - a few questions Reply with quote

Hey Scott! I have a few questions about the upcoming port of Warfare Inc for the iPhone. I'm VERY excited about this game, and I just wanted to understand a few things about the way the gameplay will behave on the platform.

Feel free to disregard the questions if you don't feel like divulging too much about the game.

1) How will scrolling the map work? On the palm I used the 5-way toggle to move the screen around; obviously that's not an option with the iPhone.

Evidently the best control scheme would call upon tracing the screen to perform the unit selecting function. Will it be like it was on the Palm OS, ie, drag your finger across the minimap to scroll the screen?

2) Will the multitouch play a role in the gameplay? Zooming the battlefield would be undeniably useful but I understand that the zoom effect might be too complicated to pull off. Maybe having one finger touching the screen to perform a function, whereas two fingers would perform a different function? As you probably know this IS possible, and it could be an interesting approach to scrolling the screen (moving one finger selects units, moving two fingers scrolls the map)

3) Any sort of voice chat feature in the works? Again, I understand voice chat during online gameplay might be too taxing on the iPhone's hardware; if that's the case, could you at least consider a voice chat function in the multiplayer lobby? Certain DS games, such as Metroid Hunters, do this.

4) Will you update the units and buildings at all, or will this be more of an "as is" port? The original Warfare Inc was a classic in it's own right, but I feel this is a great opportunity to introduce new units, new buildings, new gameplay, new anything. Also, and please do not take this the wrong way, but maybe tweaking the unit graphics could be a good idea. Some of the units looked too much like one another, it was confusing at times.

5) The pathfinding in the original Warfare Inc left a lot to be desired, sadly. Maybe this is a key area to work on...? Just a heads up Wink

6) I know you're not working with a release date in mind, which is a good thing because I'd MUCH rather you take your time and produce something amazing, than to rush and have the results be subpar.

THAT SAID, throw us a bone here. I don't expect it to be ready by the end of this year; are we looking at summer 09, fall 09...? I just wanted to have a general idea. Waiting is so hard Sad

That's it for now. I think I speak for all WI fans when I say your game could usher in a slew of strategy games for the platform, I think it's important to have Warfare Inc stand out among the inevitable copycats.

I already have a few friends extremely excited to play Warfare Inc on their phones and I'll relay your updates to them Smile

Hope to hear from you soon Smile
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Izzy, I'll attempt to answer your questions:

1> The default way is with a single finger, just like you'd scroll any iPhone list. Tap hold or double tap to multi-select units. Or if you wish, from Game Options you can choose 1 finger multi-select, and 2 fingers for scroll. Of course you can scroll from minimap like before if you wish, however scrolling the map directly with your finger is easier.

2> There is multi-touch if you wish to scroll the map this way. The iPhone release won't have zooming initially but I am considering it.

3> Voice chat is a great idea, although not in this upcoming release.

4> I'd like to see this too. The major features for this release are support iPhone and finger user interface, multiplayer across the internet and a game lobby to find / play other players, and integrated mission download (instant access to over 250 missions as of last count).

5> Thanks for your input on this Smile

6> It's coming in the near-ish future. Certainly before 2009!

Thanks for coming to the forums.

Scott

IzzyNobre
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before 09?

AMAZING!

I'm incredibly excited to Warfare Inc on my iPhone. Looking forward to buy your game, Scott Smile

And I reeeeally miss my Palm TX now Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: