Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Rally points, attack-move
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Rally points, attack-move

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Enhancement Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kronos
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Rally points, attack-move Reply with quote

Hello all, first post!

A few features I find lacking are rally points and some kind of attack-move command. It gets tiresome trying to micromanage every troop with a stylus. I've seen too many times a few dozen troops get wasted by a few enemy units simply because they tried to run past instead of attack. I know it might be difficult because of the interfaces we're limited to (stylus, a few hardware buttons), but perhaps the default move command could be an attack-move? Also, buildings could have an additional command icon for setting a rally point.

A few other suggestions of mine (or support for the suggestions of others): air units, bunker-type buildings, regenerative fog of war (once you leave an area you can still see the terrain but not enemy units)
UGMC
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, hardware buttons would be useful.

Hm. Never thought I'd see a Titan in the forums!
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think hardware buttons would be good if you could configure them... like LJZ does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with rally points is that the scripting of the missions really makes them impossible. Missions in WI are area-dependent, meaning that, strictly from the mission writer's point of view, the only way to make the units interface with the map at all is through the use of predetermined areas that the mission creator writes into each mission. To have a user create a rally point, then, is to require WI to insert a new area in the place where the user taps, which could cause some nasty crashes if it interferes with one of the mission creator's predetermined areas, and would also require Spiffcode to seriously alter the framework of the game. I guess it's doable, but might require almost a total rewrite.

As far as the move/attack option goes, we've asked for that before. Basically, we were told that it had to be either one or the other: either the units stopped and attacked the nearest enemy they encountered enroute to their destination, or they continued along that route, then turned and fought. The reason the former was not declared the default is simple.

When confronted with a tower over a narrow pass (like in mission three, I believe), what do you want your troops to do, stop and get picked off one by one, or continue down the pass a short way until you order them all to attack the tower, which they now can do.

It all comes down to a different strategy of play. When breaking an enemy base's defenses, I like to tell my units to move to a point just inside the gate, then when the first couple of them reach that point, I have them all turn and fire on the towers and defending units. This puts more guns in range of the enemy and increases my odds of survival. If the default was to attack the first enemy that crossed their path, they'd quickly get bottlenecked just outside the gate, and I'd never get through!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Enhancement Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: