Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Skip objectives
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Skip objectives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Enhancement Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pfeiffer
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Skip objectives Reply with quote

A "Skip Objectives" button on the opening dialogue of a mission, that would allow you to skip the Objectives text.

Some user missions have long and tiresome text - and if you are restarting a mission, it gets annoying to have to double-tap through screens of information you already know.

And I second the other posts requesting the option to hold - specially Andy, who has a life pof his own and tends to get killed when you are looking elsewhere.

Cheers!
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a solution instead of "skip objectives" button would to be to make all the ecoms the same size and position. Then you can just speed through the ecoms by tapping in one place -- the button.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
UGMC
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's yet another solution: save the game after the cut scenes and ecoms are done. Don't retry the level, load the game.
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hate to click through all that crap myself (some levels seem more ecoms than anything else!) but see the need - the first time through. (As I once said, I don't always remember to "save". And what if I want to replay the level months from now?).

That's why I have used the "briefing" trick in my levels: I have Surveillance Center near my starting point. The player is advised to access it within so many seconds before it is destroyed. Another less dramatic option might be to have a pad nearby that activates the briefing whenever the player sits on it. It could be deactivated after so many seconds.

Because ecoms and objectives are only given when the creator wants, having a "skip" is only feasible if all creators use it. I mean, where would the skip....skip? If it toggles something, the creator would have to use it, or it wouldn't work.

Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that pad idea, it's interesting...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a persistant variable. If your level is named, for example, FR1-Guerillas in the Mist Wink , then you'll need a pvar named "FR1-Guerillas in the Mist intro." The important thing to remember is NOT to set it to zero when the level loads.

Now make separate mission loaded triggers for your initial ecoms, with the added requirement that your "...intro" pvar be exactly zero. After the ecoms are displayed, add one to the pvar.

After so many attempts at the mission, you could even set it up so that the intro plays again to remind the player what the mission is about. This could be done by including a trigger that resets the pvar to zero when it is greater than fifteen or twenty (the triggers will continually add one to the pvar every time the game is loaded, and after it gets so high, have it reset to zero)
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are the persistent variables deleted? If you make a pvar like that, how long will it last?
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided no one names another pvar after the specific mission that your pvar goes with, then both the pvar and its setting will be saved to WI's preferences file, which is the same file that holds your registration, and so will be there for as long as you own the game. That's why I suggested you name it after the mission you want to skip the intro in - odds of another mission author (or even you) writing a mission that contains an identical pvar - and thus overwriting this one - are absolutely zero.
dws90
Very Active User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think its easier to just tap the same place a few times.

Although, I do hate it when mission intros jump all over the screen. Whenever that happens, I want to go to the author's house and slowly remove their spleen.

Last edited by dws90 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fece, i better change it while i still have my spleeyn.
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhillipEarl wrote:
Provided no one names another pvar after the specific mission that your pvar goes with, then both the pvar and its setting will be saved to WI's preferences file, which is the same file that holds your registration, and so will be there for as long as you own the game. That's why I suggested you name it after the mission you want to skip the intro in - odds of another mission author (or even you) writing a mission that contains an identical pvar - and thus overwriting this one - are absolutely zero.

I can't repro what you have listed above. Could you provide more info?

Here's what I know, based on extensive experimentation:

pvars are saved when a game is saved, which happens either when you exit the game while in session (which is saved to a file called something like -3_Reinitialize, a special "save" file), or choose to save from the menu (which creates a save file, the name of which is the save position and the level name, such as "0_TestingRange"). But pvars are not saved if you end the game via the menu, ie by restart or abort.

pvars are also saved if you link from one level to the next, via the next or jump mission actions, but not otherwise between levels.

PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm..... then the pvar ISN'T saved to the preferences? 'Embarassed' Then I completely misunderstood how they work. If pvars are saved between missions, then is the pvar saved after a single mission is completed? If so, then what I said above could still apply. If not, write me off as a raving lunatic and follow Crackerz' solution. Rolling Eyes To be honest, I kinda liked his better, anyhow. Wink
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhillipEarl wrote:
...then the pvar ISN'T saved to the preferences?

Nope.

PhillipEarl wrote:
...is the pvar saved after a single mission is completed?

Nope.

PhillipEarl wrote:
...write me off as a raving lunatic...

well....maybe Wink

dws90
Very Active User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think its easier to simply hit a few buttons or save...
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe 1nce or 2ice, but mllions of times and millions of ppl, that adds up to a lot of time lost clicking buttons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Enhancement Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: