Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - FR2: The Sword of the Sun
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

FR2: The Sword of the Sun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Sharing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: FR2: The Sword of the Sun Reply with quote

Description:

Before they were initially driven from Icarus, the Free Radicals had discovered a second Uber Replicator in the canyons of the northern dessert. Hiding in the shadow of the large monolith they named El Espada del Sol (The Sword of the Sun), it remained undiscovered by either Acme or Omni in the following months. Now the Free Radicals are back, ready to reclaim the relic and sieze control of its technology!

If swarming hordes of Hydras and swirling rivers of Rocket Troopers make you feel all fuzzy, then this is the mission for you! Smile Be warned, though: this level was written to hit you with an army designed especially to counter whatever army you've just built. Like building lots of Rocket Troopers? Expect to see a few Liberators. Rely on a tower defense? Expect to see a Cyclops or two (or four).

That being said, I'm hoping this won't be a mission impossible. A more advanced player should be able to beat it quite handily. I hope. Wink

Oh, and did I mention? It has a working Uber Replicator. Just sayin'.

There's now an extreme mode hidden switch to be found in the first thirty seconds of the mission, and also a scoring system based on how well you did!

Author:
PhillipEarl

History:
5/27/04 Initial Release
6/1/04 Fixed some triggers, deleted some galaxite
6/2/04 Removed a little more galaxite, made cosmetic changes, added trees
6/2/04 Added a few more Omni Units - A BIT more difficult, now...
6/3/04 As if it wasn't hard enough... set rebuilding to "on" for hard level
11/18/08 Entirely reworked level - now stands alone as the prequel for the Icarus Burning campaign!

Sword.pdb
 Description:
Before they were initially driven from Icarus, the Free Radicals had discovered a second Uber Replicator in the canyons of the northern dessert. They have returned to claim it in this prequel to the Icarus Burning Campaign!

Download
 Filename:  Sword.pdb
 Filesize:  11.53 KB
 Downloaded:  15747 Time(s)

Last edited by PhillipEarl on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:23 pm; edited 10 times in total
dws90
Very Active User

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Mission, just a few things

Pros
1. The beginning is quite hard. There is not a single place on the map that is good for a base (easy to defend, enough room to build, and close to galaxite).
2. Innovative use of the Duplicator. Although the use of the spawn unit trigger was apparent to me, I don't think most people will notice.
3. It uses the Free Radicals. What else can I say?

Cons:
1. Way too much galaxite. I finished the mission with a maxed out army and 30,000 dollars worth of galaxite easily.
2. The "Build Firebase" objective never switched to complete, even though I finished the mission with a base the spanned half the map.
3. The "Secure Replicator" objective should be listed as complete if the player doesn't activate the duplicator and simply crushes OMNI.

Overall a very good mission, and one of my favorite of the user-created. After mine, of couse. Very Happy
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dws90 wrote:
Great Mission, just a few things

Pros
1. The beginning is quite hard. There is not a single place on the map that is good for a base (easy to defend, enough room to build, and close to galaxite).
2. Innovative use of the Duplicator. Although the use of the spawn unit trigger was apparent to me, I don't think most people will notice.
3. It uses the Free Radicals. What else can I say?

Thanks! This was originally intended to be nothing more than a cut-and-dried basic mission where you built a base and made something go kablooey (nothing too difficult), so I really like hearing that it offered up some challenges!

dws90 wrote:
Cons:
1. Way too much galaxite. I finished the mission with a maxed out army and 30,000 dollars worth of galaxite easily.

I worried about that. I had some missions where I did just what you did, and some where I maxed out my army, lost it, maxed it out, lost it again, etc... etc... and finished the mission with roughly two hundred sixty-seven credits, so I thought I would publish it as is and see how it was received. Now that I've got some feedback I can either:
(a) remove roughly half to two-thirds of the galaxite from the field, or
(b) make the end-mission harder, forcing the player to go through that much more galaxite.

What do you think?

dws90 wrote:

2. The "Build Firebase" objective never switched to complete, even though I finished the mission with a base the spanned half the map.

Um, oops. I'll fix that. Half the map? Where did you start your base, out of curiosity? I may have been foolish enough to make that objective area-based, and that may be the problem. I'll look at the triggers. That has to be it. It will be fixed post-haste!

dws90 wrote:

3. The "Secure Replicator" objective should be listed as complete if the player doesn't activate the duplicator and simply crushes OMNI.

Theoretically, it's supposed to be. All you should have to do is run a unit over each switch at some point during the game, and that should be enough. I'll look again at the triggers, but even if that unit leaves its post, (wait a minute. A free radical never leaves its post. Okay, if it's destroyed. That'd get it off the switch Very Happy ) you've still located that switch, as far as completing the objective is concerned. To activate the replicator, units have to be on all switches simultaneously.

I'll have a look at it!

dws90 wrote:

Overall a very good mission, and one of my favorite of the user-created. After mine, of couse. Very Happy

Yeeha! I'm also a fan of yours (even moreso than mine) - too bad about the.ld file, though. When will we see more?
dws90
Very Active User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something I'm working on. It should be ready in the next couple of weeks.
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uploaded a new version, fixing some of the bugs pointed out by dws90:

Fixed the "Build Firebase" objective triggers... now looks for buildings you own, vise buildings in a specific area

Tweaked the Find Uber Replciator objective trigger... just find the switches!

Removed some galaxite. Not to subtly, though - my lunch hour is only so long! I'll "blend" the galaxite better later, and will remove more if it becomes necessary. I want to keep this a fairly easy mission to complete, so if I've removed too much, let me know!
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after testing, I polished it up a little, gave it a new shine, "smoothed" the galaxite out (I can't stand just dropping big chunks of galaxite in the middle of the map... I like my areas of galaxite smooth... big chunks in the middle and smaller around the edges. Anal? Yes. But it looks more natural, that way! Smile )

I also added more units to Omni's unit groups, and the combination of less galaxite with more stuff to blow up has turned up the heat on this level a bit. I also set rebuilding for Omni to "on" for the hard level. It's not such an easy nut to crack, anymore.

Enjoy!
eric2002
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a tough level... haven't beat it yet.

one question?
i've secured all 4 replicator points.. however the replicator still doesn't seem to work? I get a message saying that someone will be sent to decipher the code... does that mean i need to just hang on for certain amount of time and defend the replicator pads, get the code, then it will work?

i feel like i am missing something here... thanks. great level!
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only three pads are needed to activate the uber replicator. The "fourth" one (directly above the replicator) acts as the control, in that whatever unit that's on it once it's activated is the one that's replicated. Units need to be on all three of the other switches at the same time in order to activate it. You can tell it's activated by the fact that the screen recenters over the obelisk, which "activates" (defogs) at this time. Once activated, place a unit on the pad immediately above the replicator, and two spanking new "replicates" will pop into existence on either side just below the replicator once every few seconds while the original unit is on the pad.

Some tips for completing this mission:

Idea Send troops to the galaxite field to the south of the first Omni base you find (which is to the east across the river) - attack the bullpup, processor and the HRC. Then you can gather troops there for a two-pronged attack on the gate and towers. Some people even like to build a mini-base down there to take advantage of the heavy concentration of galaxite!

Idea Find and take over all the galaxite warehouses hidden in the mountains. Some of them even distract Omni units by being just out of range (the units will just sit there, trying to reach them, sometimes for the whole game - crazy Omni)

Idea You don't have to activate the replicator to win this level, but it certainly helps!!

Idea Attack the main base from two directions at once - you take heavy casualties, but it splits up the base's defenders.

Let me know if you need any more help - the above tips aren't required to finish this level, but they're some of the ways I've heard other people using.

Very Happy Very Happy Glad you like it!
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it really been so long? I've updated this mission - it is now the standalone prequel to Icarus Burning! - Look for the Extreme Mode switch and post your scores!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Sharing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: