Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Distinguished Sides
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Distinguished Sides

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Enhancement Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modernmystic
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Distinguished Sides Reply with quote

I think that that best possible improvement that can be done (besides adding flying units) is to somehow distinguish (sp) the different sides in some way. Perhaps even customizing each of them to their personalities. Say that the free radicals could actually use guerilla warfare and be able to hide/blend in. Then maybe ACME could be more focused on defense and have some type of bunker or mobile wall or something and then have OMNI of course be more offensive and have some special attack unit. I understand that there are many restrictions because of memory, OSs, etc, but this direction seems to hold many possibilities that should...no need to be explored. Thank you. Cool
UGMC
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the buildings look different for the various sides, etc. I was surprised when I first played Warfare that they looked all the same. Age of Empires influence, I guess.

But the special units thing may not be such a good idea. Repeatedly, mission authors have made new companies (Exom, Zynos, etc.) that do not follow those rules, and it would be hard to work around in mission authoring.
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there can be a checkbox in the editor to decide whether they can implement this or not.

It's the best idea I've heard on this forum, even better than flying units. It's like having an entirely different race!

But of course, the devs would have to work VERY carefully on making sure the sides' abilities are balanced. And maybe we would be able to choose what side we could be, before the game starts.
... otherwise: "You only won because you had OMNI!" would happen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
UGMC
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buildings can look different, I think, and maybe the units, but they should all be as functional as one another.
modernmystic
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, how about somehow making it possible for a company to go down different paths. Every side would be able to do the same thing, yet there would be the possibility for each to develope differently in each mission. This would mostly be for multiplayer though.
UGMC
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite think I know what you mean.
modernmystic
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean that there could be choices that you could make that would alter your strategy, but there would be the same choices available to all sides. Since currently, the only real strategy is match up infantry, vehicles, and buildings with whatever can destroy them the quickest. Yes, there are a few other variables, but that's the jist. So, I guess what I'm really asking for is somehow make the strategic range if you will a little wider, and this is a suggestion.
modernmystic
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean that there could be choices that you could make that would alter your strategy, but there would be the same choices available to all sides. Since currently, the only real strategy is match up infantry, vehicles, and buildings with whatever can destroy them the quickest. Yes, there are a few other variables, but that's the jist. So, I guess what I'm really asking for is somehow make the strategic range if you will a little wider, and this is a suggestion.
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean... I guess an example would be to have another factory that improves either armor or defense, but not both.

In warfare, Money controls the game. If you have a lot of money, most likely you're going to win. But with choices, that can be fixed...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
UGMC
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean now. Yeah, those would be good "upgrades" to a certain side. Like in Age of Mythology, it all comes down to which gods you choose.
GarySaved
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think being able to change the looks of things is a good idea.
Maybe set it up in the editor so we choose what type of building we are placing, and it has the same armor and such as its counterparts, just the looks change.

Of course, if each side has different looks, that will up the memory overhead. Have to strike a balance.

Gary
x187
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think itl take that much space i mean most ppc's have 67 mb wich is 39 avalible (more with mem card) but it would be cool to have diferent looks
GarySaved
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some way to put the templates, libraries, or whatever W.I. uses on a card? Also the missions and game pointers for each?

Total memory is not so much an issue as the huge clutter of having everything in one directory on the palm.

If we could do this, the 'Information' would be safe on the card. Easier to organize. I am finding it hard to keep track of which missions I have, and what they are called. If the actual game was in one directory, all the games working files were in another,and missions in another, to me it would be better, and not as easy to accidently remove something I should not have.

Just my 4 cents worth.

Gary
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done some testing, and a 72x48 bitmap on 256 colors (i think warfare is 256...) is just about 4kb.

Of course, this is the size of a picture of a galaxite processor, or a hq, or any 3x2 unit. for a troop (1x1 square) itll be probably ~1 kb.

Maybe we can choose whether to include it or not... tradeoff between this and space.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Enhancement Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: