Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - 3 Minute Rule Idea
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

3 Minute Rule Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Enhancement Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: 3 Minute Rule Idea Reply with quote

How about changing the three minute rule. Instead of it being three minutes of wall clock time for a game to count for the leaderboard, how about 6 minutes of simulation time? This would remove lag time counting for the '3 minute count down' (since simulation time is paused while players lag) and make leaderboard scoring more fair on maps that aren't played on 2.0x speed (things progress much slower in games on 1.0x speed. Thus more wall clock time should be given before the game counts for the leaderboard).
LawrenceA
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the purpose of the 3 minute rule is to make pumping more difficult. So long as the points aren't scored under 3 minutes, the rule is doing its job.

John Abraham wrote:
i will support you all the time. Thank so much for sharing your thought with your readers.

Let's start a cult!

N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LawrenceA wrote:
I believe the purpose of the 3 minute rule is to make pumping more difficult. So long as the points aren't scored under 3 minutes, the rule is doing its job.
Isn't it also to help give newer players a chance against older players?

LawrenceA wrote:
John Abraham wrote:
i will support you all the time. Thank so much for sharing your thought with your readers.

Let's start a cult!
Lol
LawrenceA
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N104!!! wrote:

Good point, that might have been intended too.

Am I correct in saying that you'd like to 3 minute rule to change for the purpose of making game-play below 2x more fair to noobs?

If I am correct in that ^, what you're suggesting might not be necessary: experienced players generally don't seem to play at any speed other than 2x. Another point to make is that even though under the current system less game-play can be done in the small amount of time, playing at a lower speed would close the skill gap between players due to the actions of both players being incredibly fast in relation to the game. Because of this the newer players already have a better chance against older players who generally are more skilled when it comes to speed.

N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LawrenceA wrote:
N104!!! wrote:

Good point, that might have been intended too.
I'm pretty sure theres a topic by an admin that explains that that's one of the reasons.

LawrenceA wrote:
Am I correct in saying that you'd like to 3 minute rule to change for the purpose of making game-play below 2x more fair to noobs?

If I am correct in that ^, what you're suggesting might not be necessary: experienced players generally don't seem to play at any speed other than 2x.
True. I've seen some experienced players play at 1.0x though. Especially when they will do anything to get points.

LawrenceA wrote:
playing at a lower speed would close the skill gap between players due to the actions of both players being incredibly fast in relation to the game. Because of this the newer players already have a better chance against older players who generally are more skilled when it comes to speed.
I understand what you're saying, but I still kinda disagree. New players are still slow (relitive to simulation time) no matter what the speed is.
LawrenceA
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N104!!! wrote:
LawrenceA wrote:
playing at a lower speed would close the skill gap between players due to the actions of both players being incredibly fast in relation to the game. Because of this the newer players already have a better chance against older players who generally are more skilled when it comes to speed.
I understand what you're saying, but I still kinda disagree. New players are still slow (relitive to simulation time) no matter what the speed is.

Sure they're always going to be slower than the experienced players, but the advantage given by reaction speed differences between players is halved when the game is played at 1x rather than 2x.

N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LawrenceA wrote:
Sure they're always going to be slower than the experienced players, but the advantage given by reaction speed differences between players is halved when the game is played at 1x rather than 2x.
Another thing though is more can happen in a 2.0x game than a 1.0x game. For example, if you get rushed in 2.0x game, you can resign without losing points. If you get rushed in a 1.0x game, it's past 3 minutes.
galm
ForeRunner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step your game up trine are we in need of more mods? Alot seem to be busy (totally understandable) and these bots are annoying.
N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galm wrote:
are we in need of more mods? Alot seem to be busy

General Discussions: It's all moderated by forum admins except Off Topic, which is still moderated by slimjimninja who left WI, and the FAQ, which only the moderator, and or forum admins can post on.

Missions Relations: Mission Authoring and Mission Sharing are moderated by Trineroks, N@TE, and me. Trineroks is the sole moderator for the Co-op Leaderboard. N@TE is inactive, so I don't think he's doing much moderating.

Map Groups: There's three map groups. Kou, who is inactive, moderates kou/MONSTER PROJECT. dkrasnove, who moderates M3GA, left WI a while ago. Galm, you are moderator of B.E.T.A. I'll let you judge your how active you are Wink Forum administrators try not to moderate map groups unless needed.

Clubs: I'm not going to list all the clubs and their moderators, but I think its safe to say that all the club moderators, except me (I don't post much in my club anymore though), are inactive. Forum administrators try not to moderate clubs unless needed.

Clans: Out of all the clans, I think all the clan moderators are inactive except for Mithoz who moderates the Van Java clanboard. Forum administrators try not to moderate clans unless needed.

Forum Mafia: Although the game is inactive and no longer played, the Mafia General Discussion is still visible on the forums, and forum users can post on it. It is moderated by Trineroks (I'm not sure if other forum admins -- if they were active -- moderate it, but I don't think they do).

Mission Discussions: All the forums in this category are moderated by the inactive N@TE, and forum admins.

The only active forum admin is trineroks.

galm wrote:
and these bots are annoying.
Agreed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Enhancement Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: