Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - FR1: Guerillas in the Mist
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

FR1: Guerillas in the Mist
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Sharing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: FR1: Guerillas in the Mist Reply with quote

Description:
After the crushing defeat by the combined forces of Acme and Omni, the Free Radicals are determined to regain a foothold on Icarus! With limited resources, they return to launch a guerilla campaign designed to wreak random havoc. The first step is to disrupt Acme's mining operations in the southern mountains....

I tried something new with this mission; you can use the terrain to gain an advantage over the enemy. Hide in the trees to avoid or ambush enemy forces, or take the high ground to gain a distinct (if temporary) advantage in battle! Be warned, though. Hiding and ambushing are risky ventures, and sometimes don't work. Also, once you've ambushed a patrol from a certain spot, future patrols will be watching that spot for a while!

This is my first mission, so let me know what you think!

Author:
Phillip McCollam (PhillipEarl)

History:
Released 5/19/04
Bug Fix 5/19/04
Tweaked 5/20/04 - Because I can't leave anything alone!
Updated 6/03/04 - Changed some patrol routes, added troops to base for "hard" setting
Bug Fix 6/07/04 - now runs smoothly on ALL devices (I hope?)
Bug Fix 6/22/04
Bug Fix/shortened Objective 3 text 6/23/04
Major Update (2.0 now!) 11/23/04:
Changed Player's units
Tweaked Acme's unit groups
Cleaned up the "Ambush" code a bit

guerillasinthemist2-0.pdb
 Description:
NEWLY UPDATED! After the crushing defeat by the combined forces of Acme and Omni, the Free Radicals are determined to regain a foothold on Icarus!

Download
 Filename:  guerillasinthemist2-0.pdb
 Filesize:  13.21 KB
 Downloaded:  15588 Time(s)

Last edited by PhillipEarl on Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:49 pm; edited 11 times in total
mfriedma938
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: How should it appear? Reply with quote

Hi. Just downloaded it and copies to PDA, but don't see it in the list of custom missions. Is it FR1: Guerillas...? Is it a multiplayer game that isn't for the PDA?

thanks
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: How should it appear? Reply with quote

mfriedma938 wrote:
Hi. Just downloaded it and copies to PDA, but don't see it in the list of custom missions. Is it FR1: Guerillas...? Is it a multiplayer game that isn't for the PDA?

thanks

It's a single player mission. Let's get the obvious out of the way, first. What version of WI do you have? It's probably for the best that you can't see it right now, considering the bug I found (see above). Wink
Donw35
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it and it works, just need to play it again to complete it..

Nice idea..
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Fixed the Bug! Everyone who's downloaded the mission before need to download it again! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Liberator
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you the author of the last story mission: bringing closure
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Uh....wow. No, that wasn't me. But thanks for the compliment! (Assuming you weren't being sarcastic? Very Happy )
Liberator
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in "generic discuss" forum, it seems that you're the author, and people call the mission 'yours'. why?

I really love that mission and completed it more than 30 times.

PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I've got to go back and re-read the General Discussion Forum! Laughing
You might have gotten that idea from the Mission Walk Through, which I volunteered to write, but I have no idea why anyone would refer to that mission as "mine!" Heck, if you've completed that mission thirty times, you're WAY ahead of me! Hey, maybe we should call it "your" mission! Very Happy

Incidentally, how do you like this one?
dws90
Very Active User

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally. I was beginning to think I was the only person that knew how to have the human control something other then ACME. Very Happy

Nice Job. I haven't finished it yet (extremely difficult), but I love the guerilla warfare aspect. This might completely change how I play every mission.
Donw35
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to the point were I distroyed all the bullpups, now I need to blow up the base but there is a large army in there. How do you complete this with out the resources..
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donw35 wrote:
I got to the point were I distroyed all the bullpups, now I need to blow up the base but there is a large army in there. How do you complete this with out the resources..

Okay, I've been told more than once that this one's a toughie, so here's a little help:

Idea Patience is a virtue... just because you see a bullup at the beginning of the game doesn't mean you have to take it out right away. Do a little reconnaissance first, find out where the bullups are going, and get a feel for the patrols. Plan your ambushes, hiding places and maneuvers in advance, then get your troops in position before engaging.

Idea Patience may be a virtue in the beginning of this game, but you've got to be quick about getting the lay of the land and destroying the bullups! The large army you found in the base most likely was the large armored column you were warned about via ecom about twenty-five to thirty minutes into the mission. It is possible to destroy the bullups and be well through the base before they arrive. Also, you might want to re-download the mission; one of the "tweaks" I made was to that same armored column that you encountered in the base!

Idea But how to get to the bullups so quickly? Okay, here's a bit of a spoiler, so don't read any further if you don't want it spoiled!....... Get some troopers to the crossroads at the north of the base before destroying the first bullup. All the bullups pass by that point, and as long as you dodge the passing patrols, you should have no problem picking them off in short order. The more troopers at the crossroads the better. Destroy the bullups before the column comes through the area, and you'll find the base a much softer target.

This is a hard mission, make no mistake about it! But its difficulty lies mainly in the fact that it requires you to think a bit more outside the box than usual! Large armies don't necessarily have to be destroyed, and most of the patrols can be avoided altogether!

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any more trouble! I made this mission for people to enjoy, and that's hard to do if you feel you can't win! Wink
Liberator
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice mission which I still haven't completed yet.

I don't know why the units move so slowly on my device, even I set the speed to 100%. It's a really hard mission in deed, hard to move Very Happy

ajcross
Very Active User

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhillipEarl wrote:
Okay, I've been told more than once that this one's a toughie, so here's a little help:

Idea Patience is a virtue... just because you see a bullup at the beginning of the game doesn't mean you have to take it out right away. Do a little reconnaissance first, find out where the bullups are going, and get a feel for the patrols. Plan your ambushes, hiding places and maneuvers in advance, then get your troops in position before engaging.

Isn't this the way to play every mission for the first time? Use fast or cheap troops to fan out and get the lay of the land as quickly as possible. Then restart after you know some of the map and decide on your strategy.

PhillipEarl wrote:
Idea Patience may be a virtue in the beginning of this game, but you've got to be quick about getting the lay of the land and destroying the bullups! The large army you found in the base most likely was the large armored column you were warned about via ecom about twenty-five to thirty minutes into the mission. It is possible to destroy the bullups and be well through the base before they arrive. Also, you might want to re-download the mission; one of the "tweaks" I made was to that same armored column that you encountered in the base!

Is this the second column? I was quick enough that the second column appeared after I was heading to the exit.

The "4th" squad definitely made the base easy to take out.

[SPOILER]
Here is an ambush pattern that I used when the patrol came around a hill corner. P's are the patrol, h is the hill, T are Rocket Troopers and X is the attack spot. The Troopers form a ring 3 squares from the attack point. It degenerates when an is not instantly killed and other enemy units move around the attack point. It can be rotated for any attack direction. It is the same kind of defense used for towers in C3: Sand Dune Snafu

Code:

PP   T
hhX  T
hh   T
hh  T
hhTT

If you can set it just right this works out in the open
Code:

P   T
 X  T
    T
   T
TTT

[/SPOILER]

PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajcross wrote:

Isn't this the way to play every mission for the first time? Use fast or cheap troops to fan out and get the lay of the land as quickly as possible. Then restart after you know some of the map and decide on your strategy.

Yup! Very Happy

ajcross wrote:

Is this the second column? I was quick enough that the second column appeared after I was heading to the exit.

The "4th" squad definitely made the base easy to take out.

Awesome! Did you stick around long enough to build your own base and take the reinforcements out? Wink

ajcross wrote:

[SPOILER]
Here is an ambush pattern that I used when the patrol came around a hill corner. P's are the patrol, h is the hill, T are Rocket Troopers and X is the attack spot. The Troopers form a ring 3 squares from the attack point. It degenerates when an is not instantly killed and other enemy units move around the attack point. It can be rotated for any attack direction. It is the same kind of defense used for towers in C3: Sand Dune Snafu

Code:

PP   T
hhX  T
hh   T
hh  T
hhTT

If you can set it just right this works out in the open
Code:

P   T
 X  T
    T
   T
TTT

[/SPOILER]

Niiice! Very Happy Did you ever try it from the top of the top of the hill, so that the patrol was downhill from you?

So what'd ya think? Too easy? Too hard? Any recommendations?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Sharing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: