Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Unit group woes
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Unit group woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Unit group woes Reply with quote

In the mission I'm writing, I have the computer opponent create three unit groups at load: a patrol consisting of a broadsword, a liberator and two guards, a patrol consisting of two eagles, and a patrol consisting of three guards. It's important that they are built verses spawned, and they are all three assigned routes to check, all with the "repeat forever" and "recreate if destroyed" boxes checked.

Here's my problem: during testing, I noticed that all three were initially built and patrolled as ordered. I eventually destroyed all three, after which time I only saw the large (liberator) patrol return. I obviously checked the unit groups to make sure the appropriate boxes were checked (as above) - they were. Then I wondered if the computer needed more starting credits, assuming that I'd choked their galaxite. However, when I got to the enemy's base, I discovered that not only did they have enough credits, but there were the missing unit groups, setting right outside their respective build structures, apparently in "guard" mode.

What happened? The layout is very open, and none of them are trapped, as evidenced by the fact that the largest group is created around them and still manages to leave the base and make regular rounds. I've checked, rechecked, and triple-checked their "repeat forever" boxes, and they are checked, as required.

It's not a make or break ordeal, but I am curious. Am I missing something?
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you might look at is the total number of units. If the limits are reached, then units won't spawn until the total comes down. If the limit is reached while only part of the group has spawned, then the rest of the group waits until all are spawned/built.

Remember, limits on units also include the player's.

PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing (lol) I don't think reaching the unit limit is going to be the problem on this level! You'll understand when I send you the beta.

Besides, I found that the unit groups had been completely created when I got to the enemy base during testing. They were just sitting there, for some reason. On my lunch break, I went home (so nice to live close to work!) and added more starting credits to the computer's total. Believe it or not, I think it worked, although I can't be sure just yet, and I have no idea why. Confused I had originally given the computer only enough starting credits to create the big patrol group, letting it mine galaxite and create the others to create a delay between patrols. That's why I originally thought their galaxite supply had gotten choked, and that's also why I was so confused when I realized they had, in fact, been created; just not sent out.

When I get home, I'll put the source on a floppy and email it to you tomorrow am. I'd send it tonight, but my computer system at home is a bit of a shambles... the imac is the one that's on the internet, but won't run M. The second-hand PC isn't online (No phone jack in the room) and the imac won't accept a floppy. Life on a shoestring. Ain't it grand?
knelson
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A technique I use when designing my levels is to create an area that covers the entire board and defog that area in the mission load trigger. This allows me to see whats going on at any time. You can see if their base is building units and make sure that the units are dispatched accordingly. Once your mission design is completed you can remove the defog area from the mission load trigger.

Keith
Palm Tungsten|E
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, knelson! I use the same technique. It is very helpful for troubleshooting (I think I posted this once before in response to a question wayner had about controlling factions or something).
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome idea! I'll do that now.... Very Happy

Later the same day edit:

Okay, did that. I had previously increased the computer's starting funds and immediately noticed that unit groups began to be rebuilt. So apparently that problem was solved. Here's the thing - I watched for a while as my units systematically destroyed unit group after unit group. Great. The computer began rebuilding everything exactly as ordered. Then something weird happened. It ran out of funds. Now, that's not weird, nor was the fact that no flashing dollar sign appeared, since I was playing on "Hard" setting. The construction progress bar simply stopped moving until a bullup could make its way back to the processor. The WEIRD part came when it ran out of funds a second time. Suddenly the flashing dollar sign appeared over the buildings! Confused, I sent some guys down and destroyed some generators. Sure enough, the little lightning bolts appeared over the computer's towers. Now I know what you're thinking.

"He just thought he was on the hard setting." That's what your thinking, right? Yeah, me too. That's why I immediately aborted the mission and checked the difficulty setting. It was on hard. I played again, looking especially for the moment the computer FIRST ran out of funds. Just as advertised, there was no dollar sign. The second time: dollar sign, an apparent indication that either (a) the difficulty setting had somehow been changed midway through the level, or (b) the "hard" setting was now displaying the symbols for low funds and low power!

When I wrote the level, I had different starting funds for each difficulty, written (I thought!) exactly as I found it in the forum! What kind of crazy combination of triggers did I string together to come up with THAT?
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change the difficulty level while playing - manually in the options setting.

(I earlier posted that you could change via code - pvar $difficulty. That is not trrue. I apologize for any confusion Embarassed )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: