Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Air Units
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Air Units
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Enhancement Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SNES350
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great. Just imagine taking out an entire enemy base by dropping hundreds of bullpups Shocked
iceroid7
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what would be better is just a plain and simple 3 air units:

Fighter - Attacks other air units, is only thing capable of shooting air units besides rocket soldier and rpg turret.

Bomber - Drops a series of 3 bombs over a target location not powerful to single handedly destroy a building, but perhaps in numbers of 3 or more or something...

Transport - Transports up to 5 infantry or 2 tanks to any location.

...And maybe super weapons...

The only correctly quoted quote is a misquote.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DBZ-GOKU-
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with that whole post...Smile (partially the super weapons part too...Wink).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GaymBoi
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Air Units Reply with quote

First off, without trying to flame anyone, I don't really want Warfare Inc to copy Warcraft, Starcraft, or any other game. WFI should stay true to it's storyline. If air units make sense, OK, but don't do it to keep up with the Joneses.

2nd, there is precident for not having air units. If anyone has read the Bolo or Hammer's Slammers series of books, there aren't air units in either one. Both series assume that the power of ground-based lasers have made the airspace over battlefields too dangerous for flying vehicles. Perhaps Spiffcode has made the same assumption.

Air units, if they exist, would be pretty expensive. A F-18E Super Hornet goes for approx US$70 million, an M-1 Abrams battle tank for approx $US4.5 million. Look how much the tanks cost in WFI and then figure out how much air support would be.

I can go either way with this one, if we get air units, cool, but if we don't it isn't the end of the world.

/GaymBoi
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... but a simple helicopter now and then would be nice...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
d34l10
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Air Units Reply with quote

I agree with GaymBoi. If anything, this game is more like C&C than Star craft, and the last thing I want to see is a good game turn into a cheap ripoff.

I think one way it could be done is if you've ever played Dune II (Probably the very first example of an RTS ever), there was a unit called the Ornithoper that would launch from your war factory and just fly around and bombard something until it was destroyed, then attack a new target, or was destroyed itself. It was a good balance this way, because you could only field a handful at a time (the most I got at the same time was 3, because they were expensive and took so long to build), and while they were powerful and fast, they could be shot down fairly easily, but dodged enough fire to get a few shots off. It was more air support, and you still needed to attack mainly with ground forces. The Ornithoper would soften it up, but you needed to attack with tanks.

Maybe it would be a requirement where you had to have an advanced VTS and an active Surveilance Center. You'd launch one from the VTS and control what it attacks with the Surveilance center. It'd be very powerful, but maybe like 1000 credits and takes as long as two liberators to build.

I think that for this particular game, that's the best way it would work. But that's just my opinion.

My only question is why you would have broadswords attack planes? All other RTS's attack air units with rockets, not bullets or shells or mortars or anything. I'd think that you can only attack planes with Rocket troopers, Hydra tanks, and Rocket towers.

d34l10
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Air Units Reply with quote

Oh, there was also a carryall in Dune II, but all that did was pick up harvesters and drop them off at your refinery. Still, it'd make ore processing a lot faster...
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About that "dropping bullpups" thing, I don't think that would be very effective. Yes they are heavy, but I think the buildings would be able to stand them...
I'm not saying they're useless, it's just that it won't be as much damage as you said. It might cost a fourth of an HQs damage, and maybe a half to three fourths of a tower.
Remember... everything is scaled differently...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Enhancement Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: