Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Creating Units That Cannot Attack
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Creating Units That Cannot Attack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkrasnove
Very Active User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Creating Units That Cannot Attack Reply with quote

Is it possible to create units in multiplayer game, such as Andy, that won't attack even if commanded to?
N@TE
Chief Administrator Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Coward Reply with quote

If you change the aggressiveness setting to "Coward", then the units will run away from any enemy that is in sight-range. I'm not sure if this will prevent any attacks from being commanded by a human, however.

If you really don't want any units to be attacked then you can punish the attacker for killing a unit. For instance, if they kill a unit, then the killer loses five units, or something along those lines. Just be sure to include that in the Mission and/or Formal Objectives.

What is it exactly that you're trying to do? Why don't you want units to be attacked?

dkrasnove
Very Active User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Coward Reply with quote

N@TE wrote:
If you change the aggressiveness setting to "Coward", then the units will run away from any enemy that is in sight-range. I'm not sure if this will prevent any attacks from being commanded by a human, however.

If you really don't want any units to be attacked then you can punish the attacker for killing a unit. For instance, if they kill a unit, then the killer loses five units, or something along those lines. Just be sure to include that in the Mission and/or Formal Objectives.

What is it exactly that you're trying to do? Why don't you want units to be attacked?

Well, what I was going for was sort of a "civilian" unit. I wanted the player to have to protect his civilian units from the enemy. Come to think of it, an actual civilian unit would make a nice addition to Warfare Incorporated...
N@TE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Units that cannot fire Reply with quote

You could make this "Civilian" unit a Bullpup, Dominion, or Corporate Raider. Neither of these unit types can fire. Bullpups are the fastest of the three unit types (rated six in the "Speed" section of the Unit Creation screen), Dominions are moderately fast (rated five in speed), and Raiders are the slowest (rated four in speed). Just be warned that using Dominions requires a trigger to prevent transforming the Dominion into an HQ (making the players lose the game when they own an HQ). If you are going for a faster vehicle or want multiple "Civilian" units, then choose using Bullpups. If you want a slower vehicle, you only have a few "Civilian" units, and/or you don't mind creating a simple trigger, then go with using Dominions. If you have many units, but you want them to be slow, then choose Corporate Raiders. The final decision is up to you.
trineroks
Chief Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Units that cannot fire Reply with quote

N@TE wrote:
You could make this "Civilian" unit a Bullpup, Dominion, or Corporate Raider. Neither of these unit types can fire. Bullpups are the fastest of the three unit types (rated six in the "Speed" section of the Unit Creation screen), Dominions are moderately fast (rated five in speed), and Raiders are the slowest (rated four in speed). Just be warned that using Dominions requires a trigger to prevent transforming the Dominion into an HQ (making the players lose the game when they own an HQ). If you are going for a faster vehicle or want multiple "Civilian" units, then choose using Bullpups. If you want a slower vehicle, you only have a few "Civilian" units, and/or you don't mind creating a simple trigger, then go with using Dominions. If you have many units, but you want them to be slow, then choose Corporate Raiders. The final decision is up to you.
I don't believe there is a trigger that can prevent dominions from unpacking, so if I were you (dkrasnove) I would choose between raiders and bullpups. Try not to use dominions as civilian units.

I personally use raiders as civilians cuz they look like innocent businessmen

dkrasnove
Very Active User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Units that cannot fire Reply with quote

trineroks wrote:
N@TE wrote:
I don't believe there is a trigger that can prevent dominions from unpacking, so if I were you (dkrasnove) I would choose between raiders and bullpups. Try not to use dominions as civilian units.

I personally use raiders as civilians cuz they look like innocent businessmen

Let's say I use raiders as the civilians. Can I prevent them from entering buildings of the enemy? I have allied them with the enemy's side so that the raiders cannot attack but the enemy still can. However, the raiders can still move past the enemy's units, even though the enemy isn't allied with them.
N@TE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Units that cannot fire Reply with quote

dkrasnove wrote:
Let's say I use raiders as the civilians. Can I prevent them from entering buildings of the enemy? I have allied them with the enemy's side so that the raiders cannot attack but the enemy still can. However, the raiders can still move past the enemy's units, even though the enemy isn't allied with them.
"The Raiders can still move past the enemy's units" because they are allied with the enemy. There is no reason for the Raiders to be allied with the enemy so that the Raiders cannot attack the enemy. Remember that the whole point of choosing Raiders as the civilian units is so they don't attack the enemy without needing an alliance. Raiders don't have guns and they cannot shoot the enemy, therefore they don't have to be allied with them.
trineroks
Chief Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders can capture enemy structures (which is what we want to prevent on his hostage map). That poses a problem
dkrasnove
Very Active User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trineroks wrote:
Raiders can capture enemy structures (which is what we want to prevent on his hostage map). That poses a problem

Yes, exactly. I think I'll just prevent the raiders from getting too close to an enemy structure by creating a restricted area. Chances are they would be killed anyway if they tried to get into the enemy base.
LawrenceA
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as they would be killed if they enter the enemy base then you could have the intruding units re spawn elsewhere when they are killed.

or perhaps you could prevent units from attacking by making one side an ally of another while a certain sides units were in an area.

bullpups in my opinion would be the best choice, but if you want to use dominions and prevent unpacking you could design the map in thatches using terrain such as walls where you don't want the dominion to be able to transform but still be able to move.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: