Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Mission sharing plans
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Mission sharing plans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Mission sharing plans Reply with quote

Here are the mission sharing discussions we've had with Handmark so far. This isn't the ultimate sharing approach, but it is a start. Comments appreciated.

We're planning on two things: a forum for Mission submission and feedback, and a page for mission download. The mission download page would be auto-generated from the contents of the forum, so it would always be "live". Here's how it would work:

Mission Download
We'll have a mission authoring forum. Authors would post new levels as top level sticky topics, which get sorted at the top of the topic view. Users could comment freely on these missions within the appropriate topic. We've added a file upload option to this specific forum which you'd use to upload your mission. We'll also allow edits so that you could edit your original post and update your level at any time. We'd have a FAQ "announcement" topic at the top which would describe the mission post format. It would be something like this:

Topic subject: name-of-your-mission
MessageBody:
name-of-your-mission
author-info
mission info
history

You'd modify your first post as you made updates to the mission, updating your history as well.

Mission Download

We'll have a level download page that is linked to directly from the front of the Warfare site. The level download page would be auto-generated, based on the sticky posts in the mission sharing forum. It would sort entries based on download count as well, and provide direct download links, as well as links back to the discussion topic.

The idea being we have an easy to use download page, which is key, and a way to discuss missions and give authors feedback for improvement through the forum. Ideally this would be more like a PalmGear which has all of the above and more in a given listing, but that's too big a chunk of work to chew off at the moment.

Comments?

crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Let's do it! Reply with quote

Great work, Scott. Awesome ideas. I have only one comment:

Let's do it already!

SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds to me as a workable solution. I think it is most important to get a mission download page that works and is easy to use (and preferably looks good). I think we can live with it if the mission upload end is a bit less smooth. I also like the forum feedback option. Smile

Now all we need is a new version of the editor, so we can finish our levels. Wink

scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a new build as we speak.
Girt
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sounds great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: