Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - long time fan on pocket pc, just got the iPhone version
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

long time fan on pocket pc, just got the iPhone version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArKTisK
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: long time fan on pocket pc, just got the iPhone version Reply with quote

must way this version trumps the old one I played way back on ppc, but I have some questions/suggetions!

when multiplayer is released, will I be able to play against someone on pocket pc? I quote often have friends come over for mini LAN sessions, and I have several older ppc devices lying around, and was hoping to use them for such a purpose.

also, why no multi touch support? it's quite irritating trying to move buildings long distances as you have to drag the building to the edge of the screen, then move the camera, then the building again.

also, why not do away with the overworle map in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and just let the user zoom out with multi touch gestures like when using the web browser and pictures?
Zandog
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: long time fan on pocket pc, just got the iPhone version Reply with quote

ArKTisK wrote:

- when multiplayer is released, will I be able to play against someone on pocket pc?

- also, why no multi touch support?

- it's quite irritating trying to move buildings long distances as you have to drag the building to the edge of the screen, then move the camera, then the building again.

- also, why not do away with the overworle map in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and just let the user zoom out with multi touch gestures like when using the web browser and pictures?

* I'll let the devs answer the pocket pc question. Explain what you mean by multi touch support? You use two fingers to select multiple units.

* Ergonomically, your right. It's fairly clumsy and tedious to have to inch structures for placement. The best method I can think of would be to have a "zoom out" showing the occupied area that your the generators can deliver power to. Perhaps a grid, showing what boundary of your generators. Good suggestion.

* That is a good idea for some things, not so good for others. I like the idea, but being able to zoom out all the way to get an entire perspective gives too much of an advantage to the player IMO. The maps are not rectangular most of the time like the touch screen so you'd never be able to get a full perspective.
revcompgeek
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArKTisK, you don't have to drag the rectangle when placing a building. If you tap on a spot on the ground it moves to where you tapped.
ArKTisK
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats odd, it doesnt work that way on mine. if i touch a place when trying to place a building it does nothing.

but about the zooming out giving an unfair advantage, i dont think really makes sense. mostly due to the fact that if you were to zoom to the maximum level, it would look pretty similar to the mini map anyway.

the only thing that would be an issue is using 2 fingers to select units interfering with the zoom function, but there are multiple ways you could address this. for instance you could hold one thumb on the screen, then double tap with the other thumb, on the secound tap, you use that to adjust the zoom. you could also have a little button in the corner to touch to toggle zoom and unit selection, or you could place 2 fingers on the screen, give the iphone a nice lil shake, and that toggle the zoom and multiple unit selection.

it would also be nice to adjust the camera movement speed so that it moves accurately when dragging your finger across the screen. for example, if you right now say touch a tree or a rock on the screen and start to drag your finger to move the camera, youll notice that the rock or tree will soon no longer be under your finger. its a bit disorienting to me since im used to the more accurate method employed on web browsing or picture viewing. it would also be nice to have a bit of momentum transfer when moving the camera, instead of having it come to a dead stop when you stop moving your finger. many a times ive wanted to sling the camera view to smoothly and quickly view another part of the screen.

just a few ideas Very Happy

also, when i was talking about multi touch, i was reffering to being able to use one finger to move the camera, and the other to keep ahold of a building when trying to place it, that way you could easily and smoothly move the camera while dragging the building. as it currently stands, it doesnt really work. but since you said you can just tap the screen and the building placer will appear there, i guess that works just as good, just wish i could figure out why it doesnt work on mine. im on a iphone 3g if that may matter, but i doubt it

id also love to see the graphics reworked to fit the native resolution of the iphones screen, and if they used my zoom idea, you could actually have some incredibly vivid graphics, being able to see alot more detail by being able to zoom in more than the closest view for instance, and it would also look alot nicer and cleaner when zoomed out.

oh and the devs ever want to add music in the same style as the original command and conquer (as this game seems to borrow HEAVILY from it, and a main reason why i like it so much) im your guy Very Happy
Zandog
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revcompgeek wrote:
ArKTisK, you don't have to drag the rectangle when placing a building. If you tap on a spot on the ground it moves to where you tapped.

Good lookin out. Works fine for me. Select the area I want to build and just *tap*.
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to drag the build indicator - you can just tap where you want it to move to, and it'll jump there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: